Thursday, February 21, 2013

#24: I Do Confess...

February 21, 2013:

Congratulations Sealions, this is the end of the 7th week of Spring semester! Only 8 more to go!

So a few things have happened since I last wrote...

One being ASB elections!
Congratulations to the newly elected ASB staff :) And shout out to Claire Schalin whom I may or may not be assisting next year...for which I may or may not be super stoked for...it's not like it's going to be the greatest thing to get paid to work with one of your friends or anything. I'm not officially saying anything like that. Officially.

Oh, and AJ Wolf for president? This should be fun... :)

And another thing, this whole PLNU Confessions page? Lemme rant about that one real quick.

PLNU confessions is like what, a week old? And at first this page on Facebook was super hilarious. I think it was inspired by the bigger universities' "hookup" pages, but I could be wrong. Anyways, it literally went Loma viral in a matter of days.

And then the creepy posts started coming in. You know, the ones where you're like, "okay, this stuff just got fake." Yeah well that's how it ended up looking like. And not to mention it became a perfect place to bash people. Hello people, cyber bullying? No? Personally, I was getting tired of not being able to see anything on my Facebook news feed but other peoples confessions so I hid it from my feed. One good thing, and probably my favorite post on there was the "bring Tony back" on and "Tony 2013". I miss him too guys, I miss him too.

But wait! It doesn't end there! Wouldn't you know that just recently a PLNU Encouragements page has been made. Now this seems reasonable right? Nice Christian kids using it as the ray of sunshine to combat the bullying? No. I think there are more haters toward the encouragements than there were to the confessions.

Now here's the deal. I don't think that either page is all that harmful. I also get that the confessions page is a great outlet for many students here. I mean come on, it's been an outlet for kids who aren't perfect, who don't want to pretend to be perfect here 24/7. Kudos. On the flip side, a little praise (be it anonymous or not) never hurt anyone. I still honestly believe that this campus has the nicest, best, and brightest students of any other California university, and maybe any other university period. So let the good kids have their fun too. Maybe they are those super grouchy, quiet kids who aren't perfect and don't want to pretend to be mean here 24/7.

See what I did there? ;) Kidding.

But seriously, this thing has really become a common topic of conversation. Even Jeff Bolster knows( to the person who posted on his good looks, you're grateful this page is anonymous now, huh?). If you want to read/research/find out more about this whole confessions thing just pick up the latest edition of  the Point Weekly. I told you. It's everywhere.

Well, I guess I should get back to my reading. I call it punishment for not being prepared for a psych reading pop quiz that I was not ready for today. The ONE DAY I don't do the reading! Sheesh...

One last thought. Zombies have returned. Not as big as last year, but I think it's because this new batch are strictly those hard core zombie game players. Makes for more ridiculously hilarious and awkward moments around campus.

Good luck with midterms next week guys!

Until next time,

Keep it classy (and confidential) Loma

-Em
#MyLife@Loma
It's Lent!~No more soda, caf cookies, or ice cream. :(

Because I don't have a cool Loma landscape shot, I only have a Loma lanyard shot...

No comments:

Post a Comment