Monday, November 19, 2012

#17: Tide to Our Pride

November 19, 2012:

Well it's here! THANKSGIVING BREAK IS TOMORROW! Who's excited? EVERYONE.

Bags are being packed, driving arrangements are being finalized, and laundry bags are growing. Now, not everyone is going home for the holiday (thank you stingy Point Loma for the 3 days. Really.). Those not going home are getting creative and making their makeshift plans for Thanksgiving. Thanks to all of the wonderful professors here at Loma who are all opening up their homes for the holidays; they're great. I'm almost tempted to try that out sometime. Who knows, maybe I'll go to my lovely writing professors house, just to say that I survived. All you Evarcuties out there will understand the joke.

Speaking of writing, RESEARCH PAPER DONE BEEZIES! Most of you guys in Writing 110 understand this relief. Congratulations guys; it's all downhill from here! :)

Now I'll just recap the weekend for all of you who were or weren't there for our "Tide to Our Pride" homecoming extravaganza 2012.

Wednesday- Powderpuff. Hah. Haha. Cue nervous laughter for this one much? First off, I'm so grateful to have been a part of such a cool and fearless Fr/So team! Putting in all of those hours of practice and prep for it all to come down to a short 40 minute game is ridiculous. I hope that we can continue playing throughout the year! If you haven't gotten the message by now, my team was slaughtered. On the bright side we got tacos churros, and a WHOLE bunch of junk in the caf after! Yeah Point Loma, reward us with food. Oh and I could never forget the halftime performance. Definitely freaking HILARIOUS! Well done guys, well done. And I really dig the highlighter shorts. Shout-out to my good friend Drew, you were the best male-cheerleader out there ;)

Thursday- Concert band. Okay I heard so many good things about this! But alas I was not there. I was off gallivanting around the Mission Mall area waiting to see BREAKING DAWN PART 2! Thanks to the great line watching employees who wouldn't let us line up when we got there. Whatever. Experiences and whatnot. All in all it was worth it and my hall mates and I had a great time. Personally, I slept like a baby when I got back. So much so that I slept right through chapel. Whoa wait, did I say that? I mean.. duh I went to chapel. Yay, homecoming chapel...?

Friday- CORONATION and variety show! Two words. Revolving. Stage. Yes, be jelly. All the the homecoming court looked AMAZING in their formal wear, and the stage setting was super pretty too! The variety show itself didn't disappoint either. Point Loma has mucho talent (who really thinks that I know how to say talent in Spanish, I mean come on.) Chip and his brother's Emceeing was really funny and pretty cooligan. You don't get the reference? Shame on you for not catching on. Shout out to my lovely Hawaiian hall mate Kaili Kinoshita and my fellow fashion merch major Marissa Hernandez for performing! They were both AMAZING! It was a great school pride kind of night. And the night didn't end there for me. After all of that I went with a few friends ....downtown. To this place. With music. And dancing... Yeah it had dancing, sorry Point Loma. Late night take two much?

Saturday- WAS THE BIG HOMECOMING GAME! Green and gold for days on Saturday. The caf was decorated with school pride to the T. It was my first really school pride type of experience so I was a little shocked and how into it people got. Alumni and current students alike enjoyed all of the pregame festivities that the caf had to offer. It was actually really cool to see the wide array of ages represented. Once a sealion always a sea lion I guess. And a question to all of the people who thought it was cool to paint their whole faces, was it a fun time when you had to get all of that off? Thought so. First the women's team played and then the men. Let me just say that Point Loma isn't exactly a athletic based school. Good thing we are smart AND talented. Nice try guys, solid effort. Oh, and we can't forget halftime! Oh Loma cheerleaders... Quite possibly one of the coolest stunts that I've seen from them was lifting up the mascot Roary so that he could "swim" across the court. Very clever girls. I can say that it was all pretty entertaining. And being immersed in the green sea of students on the bleachers, yelling (sometimes unnecessarily...), booing with news papers (kudos to the older people who thought that they were for reading during the game), and pointing in unison was a pretty awesome experience. Even though they won in points, we definitely won in spirit (haha double meaning right there!).

So that was homecoming week(end) in a nutshell! Now, the posters/banners/decorations are gone, and everyone has put away their ridiculous green and gold. All is normal again.

And with that I am off to correct my final draft of this gosh darn paper.

A fond farewell to all of my pride (get it? Sea LIONS? Pride?). Okay I'm done now,

-Emily
#MyLife@Loma





 (Photo creds to WIll McNeill Photography. Will is awesome by the way.)






No comments:

Post a Comment