Monday, October 22, 2012

#13: Home Is Whenever I'm with You

October 22, 2012:

Two months behind us!

Midterms. Done.

Hundreds of trees were killed to provide the massive amounts of notebooks, pencils, and flashcards used in this one short week of exams. Index cards and a cup of something filled with caffeine were a common sight in practically everyone's hands. The library got a lot of love and use too!

SO glad that that's over with.

Because after all of those wretched tests, we got fall break! No school on Friday equaled me hopping on a bus Thursday afternoon headed for my home. Now you may remember that my first trip back home in September didn't end up being everything that I had hoped for. This time was exactly the opposite. Maybe it was the longer stay? Or maybe homesickness had finally set in? Either way I felt that my weekend was perfect. My weekend was packed full of scary movies, down time with the fam bam, full nights of sleep, 24 hour access to food (take that caf!), Sunday service at my home church, shopping, and a trip to Disneyland with my little sister. Oh did I forget to mention homework? Good, because I did none. I truly felt that this weekend flew by. So much so that I "missed" my bus back home and caught a different one 4 hours later. Oops! A big thank you to my good friend and travel partner, Michael, for keeping me calm during those bus rides. I may be getting used to public transportation, but like the age old saying states "you can put the girl in the bus, but you can't take the nervousness out of the girl."

Through this weekend I've not only learned how much I value my education and the experiences that come with it, but that I value my family and time spent with them just as much. Going home and seeing life go on like it always has is kind of hard. Then I see the people who ended up staying home for college or not even going to college at all and I'm grateful that I'm going to the school of my dreams, even though it may take it's "academic excellence" a tad too seriously. I'm also grateful that I'm apart of that "middle ground" of being just far enough away that I can't go back every weekend, but I'm not too far that my only time to go home would be Thanksgiving or winter break. I'm now realizing that this will be good for a comfortable level of independence.

Also, a big shout out to you out of state kids. I don't know how you do it. Kudos!

A huge plus of coming home after a weekend like that is seeing all of your dearly missed hall mates and your adorable roommate in a room FULL OF SNACKS! Yes, I think life is good when you have sugar and caffeine on your side. Plus I got to bring my winter wardrobe back with me :) Thank God for spacebags!!!

All in all I hope that I've had enough rest to get me through this upcoming week. So far it's been a manic Monday, and to top it off I'm off to see my writing professor about my paper that she literally wrote DELETE all over. Bummed? Upset? Me? Nahh..

Later Loma,
Em

#MyLife@Loma







No comments:

Post a Comment