Sunday, September 23, 2012

#09 Communion with Community

September 21, 2012:

I can't believe it's been 4 weeks! The time has seriously flown by. But this whirlwind of a month has ended with yet another eventful week.

Huge exams, crazy projects, and long writing assignments have been the newest worry added to the list here at Loma. They had to rear their ugly heads sometime now didn't they?

Aside from the academics (I mean it's only academics here....haha...) there is always something going on here.

Chapels and time outs have been SO nice for all of us stressed out college kids who live for that break in our day/evening. The music, the speakers, and the fellowship makes me that much more thankful for this school and the opportunity to experience this not so college conventional event during my day.

A first happened this week in one of my classes. It was during the ever so loved and over populated freshman GenEd "Core Values and Convocation"! This first that I'm speaking of is ACTUAL CLASS PARTICIPATION during a segment on American citizenship over loyalty to God as a temptation. Granted it was more of some heated arguments, misunderstood messages, and unprepared debates, but hey, it's still being talked about on campus to this day so at least we know that the message got through. Personally, I feel bad for the professor. I mean come on, I wouldn't want to have to teach a course like that to the entire freshman class. Not only are there so many of us, but it's also taught in a dark auditorium. Which means cell phones, magazines, and laptops are a common sight throughout class. I'm not going to lie, I'm guilty of having used them myself. I should probably change that habit.... Should.

I also had the chance to check out the swing dance club that meets on Thursday nights. If you have never been swing dancing I totally recommend it! It's great music, a fun time, and a good workout! Plus, thanks to Loma's good old girl/guy ratio it's always interesting to have to partner up two girls. Not to mention confusing because you didn't really know who was the lead. I learned how to lead the dance so I could teach my friends, and not because I have some secret desire to experience male dominance.... Anyways, I had a blast! And I'm STILL sore. But I 100% recommend this for anyone, so Thursday nights at 8 everyone!

And then today was communion day during chapel. Serving a chapel full of students communion without any major line congestion was a miracle in itself. I always love communion at my home church, so to be able to take it at school during chapel was really nice. And next week is RENEWAL week! Yes! I'm ready for a little renewal in my week...

September 23, 2012:

So it's been the weekend already. So much done. So much experienced. These are pretty much my words of wisdom from this weekend:

-When you get the chance, go climb a roof. Just kidding! But if you happen to find yourself on a roof, watch out for pubsafe! You just may end up stuck on said roof for 3 hours.
-Don't go kayaking. Just kidding. Just be prepared to rip your shoulder muscles trying to carry/throw them (kidding again...) down the cliffs.
-If you get motion sick, don't find yourself stuck in a little kayak in the middle of the ocean. Just don't.
-It is illegal to jump off of cliffs. Fine tickets are NOT a myth. Seriously.
-The Gaslamp district is so much fun at night. Getting lost is not.
-Putting off homework until tomorrow is a bad idea, no matter what anyone says. You will wake up one day and realize that it is Sunday night and that you are screwed.
-Forgetting your rainbows 'n junk in a kayak is never the way to go because it WILL be buried in the bottom of the pile EVERY TIME.
-Rest is for the wicked and the myth of sleep is a goal.

That last one is my goal for tonight. So with that, I am out.

Peace and love Loma,
Em

#MyLife@Loma

UPDATE: Last week I told you all about this super cool dude whom I met in the cafeteria while he was working. I now know who he is! His name is Sang Nam! And he is OFFICIALLY my friend on Facebook(: Be jelly.

(Yes, my hall did get "pranked". Lame.)





No comments:

Post a Comment